Twisted-Liquid Pro GFX
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Graphic Design

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Jandel122 takes the first place trophy with his great logo! thanks everyone for participating!

PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Michael pw

Michael pw

PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING. Empty
PostSubject: PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING.   PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING. EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 7:53 am

here's how i made a basic Pixel art crab robot lobster thing in steps.

We start by drawing the base shape, just to get the basic idea of what the sprite will look like:

PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING. St1r

we now add a little more detail, along with big parts e.f another claw and pincers.

PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING. St2z

We now add lines of detail around the sprite to make it look better:

PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING. St3

We now add basic colour, remember to colour parts that are slightly out teh way darker, this makes the end result look better.

PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING. St4

Now we render the sprite. This can be done in anyway you want, i have a few here each with a description of what i did.

1. Burning and dodging.

PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING. Rendertype1

2. Beveling

PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING. Rendertype2

3. Flat Bevel

PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING. Rendertype3

4. placing a shadow inside the sprite

PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING. Rendertype4

5. Ultimate Bevel

PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING. Rendertype5

6. Shiny Beveling

PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING. Rendertype6

7. Strong Flat Bevel

PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING. Rendertype7

As you can see, the final results all look very different, if you have the patience you could go for a pixel render too! it would take longer but it would look better!.
Remember im not a very good spriter, im passing on my very limited knowledge so that anyone can try basic spriting.
Im trying to get you all to realise that you don't learn how to sprite in a sense, you can sprite anyway. you start off bad, but you practice. 4 weeks ago i could barely draw a square, now i can do isometric buildings, stuff like this...

Have a great day!
Michael.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thegamemaker.netii.net
Twisted-Liquid
Admin
Twisted-Liquid

PostSubject: Re: PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING.   PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING. EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 11:32 am

Great Concept Michael Thanks for Sharing. Personally I've been Playing With These Type of Settings for a Long Time. I dont Recommend You Use Any Kind of Beveling on Any Small Sprites Such as This. If you Wish to Make The Image Pop-Up at You, Use The Bump Map Tools Instead They Are A Lot More Pixle Friendly Than Bevel. Beveling Will Make Your Images Too Bulky And Smudge Dark Black Outlines Where You Dont Want Them.

Here Is A Bump Map Example.
PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING. Crabbump

Opposed to Beveling.
PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING. Rendertype2

Notice How You Dont Get Unwanted Black Smudges and Line Damage Cutting Thru The Sprite, And As You Can See It Still Maintains A Bevel Effect But It Is Much Cleaner.

Some of These Methods Could Be Very Simple To Use If You Played With Them Long Enough To Understand Them. I Like To Stay Away From Them Unless They Are Absolutely Necessary, But In The Same Ball Park I Like To Render Them Manually Using Color Blending To Add Lighting and Shadows The Figures Look So Much More Natural This Way.
I Simply Copied the Original Color And Made Them Darker And UnderLined The Colors To Give The Illusion That This Figure Is Sitting Out In The Sunlight.

Here Is An Example Of Lighting a Sprite.
PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING. Crabfade

Opposed to Burning and Dodging.
PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING. Rendertype1

It Is a Lot Sharper, Clean, and Controlled. It Has a More Natural Look, and as RPGJUnkie Would say it has a "Hand Drawn Feel" to it. You Can Clearly See Its a More Polished Approach. Also The Image Is No Longer Flat But Still Has A Softer Feel Than A Bevel Or a Bump Map.

In Addition Beveling, Burning, and The Many Other Rendering Tools Should Not Be Completely Ignored, The Art Great Tools To Use When Dealing With Larger Scale Objects Such as House Sprites, HUDs, and Buttons. All in All Take It From Michael Playing With These Settings Never Hurt Anyone.

Thanks Michael!
Back to top Go down
http://webstarts.com\twisted-liquid
Michael pw

Michael pw

PostSubject: Re: PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING.   PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING. EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 12:43 pm

Hmmm, i see what you mean! thanks for that!
anyway, i wanted that sprite to be a robotic crab, thats why i used bevel, to try and get it to look shiny!
but thats some great advice there! ill use them in the future.

(maybe this thread should become a post your renders of the crab.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.thegamemaker.netii.net
Twisted-Liquid
Admin
Twisted-Liquid

PostSubject: Re: PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING.   PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING. EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 1:15 pm

Oh, My bad you did mention that in the first post. Either way I wouldnt use the bevel. Making shiny metal is a whole different techinique I dont have time now but i can explain later also, if its a mechanical objects you may want to add a few gears and hydrolics to make it look more mechanical.

BTW nice crab.
Back to top Go down
http://webstarts.com\twisted-liquid
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING.   PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING. Empty

Back to top Go down

PIXEL ART; THE ART OF RENDERING.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Twisted-Liquid Pro GFX :: Graphic Design :: Tutorials-
Jump to: